Société Honoraire de Français
The establishment of a chapter of the Société Honoraire de Français offers several benefits to a secondary French program. It provides an opportunity to recognize outstanding scholarship in the study of French, to place a special seal on the graduate’s diploma, to wear a tri-colored cord or a stole at graduation, and to wear the honor society’s official regalia.
Motto of the SHF: «Avoir une autre langue, c’est posséder une deuxième âme»
The local high school chapter provides a vehicle to focus activities around French language and Francophone literatures and cultures and to encourage participation in the annual writing contest and travel grant competition. In addition, students can acquire leadership skills by serving as officers, directing the initiation ceremony, or leading other chapter events.
In 2015, the AATF inaugurated the Jeunes Amis du Français, an honorary society for middle and elementary school students. Click here for more information on JAF.
Please join us on “AATF Société Honoraire de Français” Facebook page! We cannot wait to hear from you and to share your ideas! The SHF now has a Twitter and Instagram feed at @AATFSHF. Join us there, too!
Processing Time FOR ALL ORDERS is 5-7 business days from the time the order is received, assuming that the order is correct and that the sponsor’s AATF membership is current.
Please click here to read guidelines and policies for placing orders. Please note that we do not under any circumstances accept individual orders from students. Changes for 2021 are at the beginning.
- Charter Application Form (to print for use with purchase order or check); charters can also be applied for online in our store.
- Initiate and Materials Order Form (to print for use with purchase order or check); all materials can be ordered online in our store.
- Online store for membership, charters, initiates, and materials (for use with Credit Card Payments Only)
- 2021-2022 Chapter Report Form (Please complete your annual report if you have not already done so)
- AATF Membership (membership is required of all sponsoring teachers)
SHF Competitions for 2022-2023 School Year
- 2023 Francophone Studies Stipend Information Deadline for submissions: January 9th, 2023
- 2023 SHF Creative Writing Contest Directions Deadline for submissions: February 6th, 2023
Important Information for SHF Sponsors
- SHF Constitution
- SHF Student Officer duties
- Official policy on the use of the SHF name and logo
- Archives of issues of L’Élan | Click here for most recent issue.
- Sample documents for use by SHF sponsors, including induction ceremonies and scripts and local constitution.
SHF National Council
- SHF President: Regina Symonds (MA)
- Teacher Representative: Henriette Sindjui (MD)
- Teacher Representative: Kimberley Harter (NY)
- Editor of L’Élan, Fanny Clonch (IL)
- SHF Secretary, Gwyn Phillips (CO)
Contact SHF Secretary with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Created: December 28, 2015
Last update: January 10, 2023
- Gertrude F. Weathers, 1950-1958
- Helen Bridey, 1958-1959
- Annie Preston Fearrington, 1959-1964
- Margaret Brunink, 1964-1967
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1967-1971
- Sr. Sharon Cook, 1971-1972
- Charles Avery, 1972-1975
- Yvonee Harvey, 1975-1980
- Mireille Scheni, 1980-1984
- Robert V. Smawley, 1984-1991
- Pearl Bennett Chiari, 1991-1997
- Sharon Rapp, 1997-2017
- Abbe Guillet, 2017-2019
- Regina Symonds, 2020-2022
National Council Teacher Representatives (created 2016):
- Henriette Sindjui, 2022-2024
- Kimberley Harter, 2021-2023
- Tracy Rucker, 2019-2021
- Andrea Isabelli, 2018-2020
- Justin Frieman, 2017-2018
- Katy Wheelock, 2017
- Ruth P. Kroeger, 1950-1961
- Margaret Brunink, 1961-1964
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1964-1967
- Sr. Helen Anthony, 1968-1971 (East of Mississippi Region)
- Agnes Hennessey, 1968-1972 (West of Mississippi Region)
- Sr. M. Clara Keefe, 1972
- F. W. Nachtmann, 1972 (Acting)
- Stephen J. Foster, 1972-2000
- Todd Knox, 2000-2010
- Amy Hanson, 2010-2011
- Jessica Nelson, 2011-2014
- Jayne Abrate, 2014-2016 (Acting)
- Christy Brown, 2016-2019
- April Anthony, 2020-2022
- Gwyn Phillips, 2022-Present