Société Honoraire de Français
The establishment of a chapter of the Société Honoraire de Français offers several benefits to a secondary French program. It provides an opportunity to recognize outstanding scholarship in the study of French, to place a special seal on the graduate’s diploma, to wear a tri-colored cord or a stole at graduation, and to wear the honor society’s official regalia.
The local high school chapter provides a vehicle to focus activities around French language and Francophone literatures and cultures and to encourage participation in the annual writing contest and travel grant competition.
In addition, students can acquire leadership skills by serving as officers, directing the initiation ceremony, or leading other chapter events.
In 2015, the AATF inaugurated the Jeunes Amis du Français, an honorary society for middle and elementary school students. Click here for more information.
Please join us on “AATF Société Honoraire de Français” Facebook page! We cannot wait to hear from you and to share your ideas!
Processing Time FOR ALL ORDERS is 3-5 business days.
- Charter Application Form (for use with purchase order or check)
- Initiate and Materials Order Form (for use with purchase order or check)
- Online store (Credit Card Payments Only)
- 2020 Creative Writing Contest Information (2020 information now available; deadline: February 3, 2020)
- 2020 Travel Award Information and Application (2020 information now available; deadline: January 13,2020)
- 2018-2019 Chapter Report Form
- AATF Membership (membership is required of all sponsoring teachers)
Important Information for SHF Sponsors
- Sample Local Constitution with notes
- Guidelines for SHF Chapters
- Sample Induction Ceremonies
- Archives of issues of L’Élan | Click here for most recent issue.
SHF National Council
- SHF President: Abbe Guillet (NY)
- Teacher Representative: Andrea Isabelli (IL)
- Teacher Representative: Tracy Rucker (KY)
- Editor of L’Élan, Roseann Lorefice
Contact SHF Secretary with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gertrude F. Weathers, 1950-1958
- Helen Bridey, 1958-1959
- Annie Preston Fearrington, 1959-1964
- Margaret Brunink, 1964-1967
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1967-1971
- Sr. Sharon Cook, 1971-1972
- Charles Avery, 1972-1975
- Yvonee Harvey, 1975-1980
- Mireille Scheni, 1980-1984
- Robert V. Smawley, 1984-1991
- Pearl Bennett Chiari, 1991-1997
- Sharon Rapp, 1997-2017
- Abbe Guillet, 2017-Present
National Council Teacher Representatives (created 2016):
- Tracy Rucker, 2019-2020
- Andrea Isabelli, 2018-2019
- Justin Frieman, 2017-2018
- Katy Wheelock, 2017
- Ruth P. Kroeger, 1950-1961
- Margaret Brunink, 1961-1964
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1964-1967
- Sr. Helen Anthony, 1968-1971 (East of Mississippi Region)
- Agnes Hennessey, 1968-1972 (West of Mississippi Region)
- Sr. M. Clara Keefe, 1972
- F. W. Nachtmann, 1972 (Acting)
- Stephen J. Foster, 1972-2000
- Todd Knox, 2000-2010
- Amy Hanson, 2010-2011
- Jessica Nelson, 2011-2014
- Jayne Abrate, 2014-2016 (Acting)
- Christy Brown, 2016-Present
Created: December 28, 2015
Last update: September 15, 2019