2023 AATF Summer Scholarships
Information on any scholarships available in 2022 will be posted during the winter months 0f 2022 as we receive confirmation.
Click here to see list of previous scholarship winners.
Recommendations should be emailed as attachments (no Google Docs) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. AATF Jane Black Goepper Memorial Scholarships (confirmed)
The AATF offers two teacher professional development scholarships for study abroad in a French-speaking country in the amount of $3000 each. These scholarships are open to AATF members only. Deadline: February 28
2023 applications for all teacher scholarships must be submitted electronically at https://www.frenchteachers.org/hq/forms/scholarships/
2. Walter Jensen Student Scholarship (confirmed)
2023 applications for all student scholarships must be submitted electronically at https://forms.gle/Wa6sJAqfGGbeXTAp6
Recommendations should be emailed as attachments (no Google Docs) to email@example.com .
Thanks to the generosity of the late Walter Jensen, the AATF is able to offer one scholarship for study abroad to a future teacher of French. The yearly $2000 scholarship is intended to help a student pay for a semester or year’s study abroad experience he or she might not otherwise be able to afford. The next award will be made for the academic year 2022-2023.
Student applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application and enrolled in an established teacher education program (B.A., B.S., or M.A.T.) in French. Applications for independent study abroad trips, subsidized travel, or summer programs will not be considered. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and a non-native speaker of French. He or she must be sponsored by an AATF member teacher.
The $2000 student scholarship will be paid directly to the study abroad program of the recipient’s choice to cover tuition, fees, travel, or housing costs for a semester-long or one-year study abroad program in a Francophone country. The recipient may attend an established program in any Francophone country that is accredited by his or her American university. Students may also attend established programs sponsored by universities other than their own providing credit is transferable. Cash payments will not be made directly to recipients. Application deadline for Jensen Scholarship : March 15
General Requirements for all Teacher Scholarships
Scholarships will be awarded to members who indicate a plan to use the scholarship to benefit themselves professionally and to enhance or expand the curriculum for students through a pedagogical project. Applications will be reviewed, and the decisions will be announced within approximately a month of the application deadline. A number of factors will be weighed: clarity and specificity of the candidate’s statement and project (1-2 pages); reasons for applying and level of French (candidates are expected to have a level of proficiency which will allow them to follow university-level coursework in French); teaching assignment; evidence of professional commitment; future career plans in education; and letters of recommendation.
As a follow-up, all scholarship recipients are expected, where possible, to (1) prepare a cultural project on the country to be disseminated through the AATF and (2) present a session on the same topic at the 2023 AATF convention in Trois-Rivières, Québec.
Applicants for all scholarships should do the following:
- Complete the appropriate online application form.
- Submit two letters of recommendation via email attachment (no Google Docs) with the candidate’s name and AATF Scholarships indicated in the subject field to [firstname.lastname@example.org]. (For teachers: one of the letters should come from the principal, dean, or department chairperson, and one from someone who knows the candidate’s work well. For students: one of the letters should be from the AATF member sponsoring their application and the other from someone who knows their work well.) These letters of recommendation should contain a serious, detailed evaluation of the applicant’s professional and personal qualities.
- All teacher materials must be received by February 28. Jensen Student Scholarship materials must be received by March 15.
Last Updated: January 25, 2022