Société Honoraire de Français
The establishment of a chapter of the Société Honoraire de Français offers several benefits to a secondary French program. It provides an opportunity to recognize outstanding scholarship in the study of French, to place a special seal on the graduate’s diploma, to wear a tri-colored cord or a stole at graduation, and to wear the honor society’s official regalia.
Motto of the SHF: «Avoir une autre langue, c’est posséder une deuxième âme»
The local high school chapter provides a vehicle to focus activities around French language and Francophone literatures and cultures and to encourage participation in the annual writing contest and travel grant competition.
In addition, students can acquire leadership skills by serving as officers, directing the initiation ceremony, or leading other chapter events.
In 2015, the AATF inaugurated the Jeunes Amis du Français, an honorary society for middle and elementary school students. Click here for more information.
Please join us on “AATF Société Honoraire de Français” Facebook page! We cannot wait to hear from you and to share your ideas! The SHF now has a Twitter and Instagram feed at @AATFSHF. Join us there, too!
Processing Time FOR ALL ORDERS is 3-5 business days.
Please click here to read guidelines and policies for placing orders. Please note that we do not under any circumstances accept individual orders from students. Changes for 2021 are at the beginning.
- Charter Application Form (to print for use with purchase order or check); charters can also be applied for online in our store.
- Initiate and Materials Order Form (to print for use with purchase order or check); all materials can be ordered online in our store.
- Online store for membership, charters, initiaties, and materials (Credit Card Payments Only)
- 2019-2020 Chapter Report Form (Please complete your annual report if you have not already done so)
- AATF Membership (membership is required of all sponsoring teachers)
SHF Competitions for 2021
- 2021 SHF Creative Writing Contest Directions Deadline for submissions: February 1, 2021
- 2021 Francophone Studies Stipend Information Deadline for submissions: February 1, 2021
Important Information for SHF Sponsors
- SHF Constitution
- Official policy on the use of the SHF name and logo
- Archives of issues of L’Élan | Click here for most recent issue.
- Sample documents for use by SHF sponsors, including induction ceremonies and scripts and local constitution.
SHF Meeting – May 14, 2020
SHF National Council
- SHF President: Regina Symonds (MA)
- Teacher Representative: Tracy Rucker (KY)
- Teacher Representative: Kimberley Harter (NY)
- Editor of L’Élan, Roseann Lorefice
Contact SHF Secretary with any questions at email@example.com
Created: December 28, 2015
Last update: June 1, 2021
- Gertrude F. Weathers, 1950-1958
- Helen Bridey, 1958-1959
- Annie Preston Fearrington, 1959-1964
- Margaret Brunink, 1964-1967
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1967-1971
- Sr. Sharon Cook, 1971-1972
- Charles Avery, 1972-1975
- Yvonee Harvey, 1975-1980
- Mireille Scheni, 1980-1984
- Robert V. Smawley, 1984-1991
- Pearl Bennett Chiari, 1991-1997
- Sharon Rapp, 1997-2017
- Abbe Guillet, 2017-2019
- Regina Symonds, 2020-2022
National Council Teacher Representatives (created 2016):
- Kimberley Harter, 2021-2023
- Tracy Rucker, 2019-2021
- Andrea Isabelli, 2018-2020
- Justin Frieman, 2017-2018
- Katy Wheelock, 2017
- Ruth P. Kroeger, 1950-1961
- Margaret Brunink, 1961-1964
- Sr. J. Marita Paul, 1964-1967
- Sr. Helen Anthony, 1968-1971 (East of Mississippi Region)
- Agnes Hennessey, 1968-1972 (West of Mississippi Region)
- Sr. M. Clara Keefe, 1972
- F. W. Nachtmann, 1972 (Acting)
- Stephen J. Foster, 1972-2000
- Todd Knox, 2000-2010
- Amy Hanson, 2010-2011
- Jessica Nelson, 2011-2014
- Jayne Abrate, 2014-2016 (Acting)
- Christy Brown, 2016-2019
- April Anthony, 2020-present